The Ultimate Guide for Your Next Trip
5 Awesome Ways to Upgrade Your Trip
Your guide to getaways that are—secretly, blissfully—ways to endless joy!
1. Stay in a hotel room that transforms you. – Chose a hotel that has amenities that enhance your trip and connect you deeply to the local culture.
The Amanemu Resort is a hot spring resort located in the idyllic setting of Ise Shima National Park on the shores of Ago Bay, Japan. A relaxed, peaceful and contemplative destination, Amanemu embraces ‘omotenashi’, the Japanese welcoming spirit blending with warmth and respect. Amanemu has also embraced one of the most important Japanese traditions relating to ryokan hospitality – which is that it is run by an ‘okami’, a female manager, whose role is central to the carefully honed art of Japanese hospitality which pays close attention to detail and is committed to anticipating the needs of the guest.
2. Go solo – Traveling alone pushes you to explore deeper who you are and forces you to connect with new people and ideas. That’s truly why we travel isn't it?
There are many travelers who claim that traveling alone is the best way to see the world. You deliberately travel solo, they say, because you want to experience the world without the influence of a friend or partner’s tastes, prejudices, or preferences. When you’re with a companion, it’s easy to focus on that person and forget about meeting other travelers. Traveling alone, you’re more likely to be on a voyage of self-discovery.
3. Eat something you can’t pronounce and drink something local.
Tasting the distinct foods and drinks of a destination is absolutely essential to experiencing it, as they illuminate that region’s unique culture, history, geography, and lore (in tasty edible doses, no less).
4. Buy Art from a local artist that makes your heart tingle.
One of the best ways to keep your travel memories alive is to bring home unique souvenirs, crafts and art that were handmade in the area you visited. You won’t find these in outlet malls, department stores or cruise ship terminals. The hunt for special mementos begins to guide your journey and as you get to know your destination, you’ll have a feel for exactly what you can bring home that will keep the trip alive for you long after you’ve unpacked.
5. Visit the oldest neighborhoods and historic sites. Understanding the rich and varied past of your destination is pure inspiration.
My next trip is focused around Taktshang Goemba or Tiger’s Nest Monastery which was blessed and sanctified as one of Bhutan’s most sacred religious sites. It hangs on a cliff and stands above a beautiful forest of blue pine and rhododendrons.