How to Travel Like You're Rich and Opulent
I cracked open the lid on what truly rich travel means, and I discovered a great trip is one that leaves a lasting impression–Simply said it’s novelty we’re after.
1. Eat at the most extravagant restaurant to discover another culinary tradition .Chefs around the world use design from the decor, to their plates and of course food ingredients to transport you.
Noma—the world-famous two-Michelin-star restaurant and champion of New Nordic cuisine. Chef René Redzepi focuses on his beloved Nordic terroir. Dishes are in step with the seasons, such as milk curd and the first garlic; and the first green shoots of spring with a scallop marinade. Redzepi plays with techniques such as fermenting and pickling for creations beyond most people’s eating perceptions. It is among the most influential restaurants of this century.
2. Upgrade your long haul flight and pick the right airline with the most luxurious seats. - Not all airlines seats are equal.
Singapore Airlines introduced their Suites Class, the most luxurious class of flying that is commercially available.The Suites are exclusive to their flagship Airbus A380, and they go beyond flat beds by offering enclosed private cabins with sliding doors that cocoon you in your own little lap of luxury. The interior was designed by French luxury yacht designer Jean-Jacques Coste and comes along with a plush soft leather armchair hand-stitched by the Italian master craftsmen Poltrona Frau. Perhaps most well-known of all, Singapore Airlines became the first and only commercial airline with a double bed in the sky.
3. See as much of the local Art as you can. Art is a journey into the most unknown thing of all - oneself.
Indian-born British sculptor Anish Kapoor is one of the most influential sculptors of his generation. Perhaps most famous for public sculptures that are both adventures in form and feats of engineering. He is known for his use of abstract biomorphic forms and his penchant for rich colors and polished surfaces.
4. Bring an extra suitcase and shop for local treasures to bring home. Nothing will remind you as much when you get back home of the joys you experienced than the fashion, housewares, crafts and jewelry you bring back. Self-indulgence can be good.
5. Stay in at a hotel that makes life feel sweet and that embodies the culture and local architecture. Picking the right place to relax and recharge will make your journey exotic and captivating.
One of my favorite hotels is the exclusive Hotel Splendido in Portofino. This is the hotel of choice - and one of the essential stops on the world luxury circuit. Portofino is an Italian fishing village and vacation resort famous for its picturesque harbor and historical association with celebrity and artistic visitors.
6. Travel for curiosity and you’ll go places where you broaden your thinking. You’ll have a sense of the world as a large and varied place overflowing with possibilities.